Safe Online Shopping
When you shop online, make sure you are smart about the whole purchasing process-know who you are dealing with, know what you are buying, be confident you will get what you have paid for, and ensure that your account and credit card details are being dealt with safely.
- Be wary if the website looks suspicious or unprofessional or makes unrealistic promises. Bargains which look too good to be true often are.
- Know what you are buying. Read the description of the product carefully-check the size, color, value and safety of the product.
- Read all the fine print. This includes refund and complaints handling policies.
- Check the currency, postage and handling and other charges - there may be extra charges you aren't aware of. Only pay via a secure web page-one that has a valid digital certificate.
- Use a secure payment method such as PayPal, BPay, or your credit card. Avoid money transfers and direct debit, as these can be open to abuse. Never send your bank or credit card details via email.
- Always print and keep a copy of the transaction. Keep records of any emails to and from the seller.
- Always conduct transactions within the auction website. Avoid private contact or payment directly with buyers or sellers-scammers will often use this ploy to offer a better deal.